We are holding an OPEN audition day for Equity AND non-Equity performers for the Astoria Performing Arts Center‘s production of MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG. Scroll down for further instructions and a full breakdown of all characters, etc.
Our Open Audition Day is set for Saturday, March 7th, 2015 from 10 AM to 5 PM. Electronic registration for Saturday’s audition will open at 1 PM EST on Wednesday, March 4th, 2015. To attend, please CAREFULLY follow these instructions:
Step 1.) Register for our Electronic Audition Registration System (or retrieve your login information if you have previously used our system.) You may register now and should absolutely have your account information in order as soon as possible.
Step 2.) Check our site at 1 PM EST on Wednesday, March 4th. At that time, please visit http://audition.michaelcassara.net and select the MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG audition option – it will appear at 1 PM EST exactly and will be first come, first served.
Step 3.) Upon successful registration, you will be e-mailed a confirmation and instructions. It will also appear on the website; we encourage you to print or save these instructions, in case your e-mail is somehow lost in the shuffle.
Two very important things BEFORE you register:
- this is a voluntary/non-required open call. Equity and non-Equity performers are treated with the same priority. Best efforts will be made to get in anyone who’d like to audition, but our major preference goes to people who have signed up using our system. If you don’t get assigned a timeslot on your first attempt, please check back – as times are often released throughout the process.
- please take a moment to read EVERYTHING that follows below. Performer availability is a major component given the intricate needs of this show – while best efforts will be made to work around minor conflicts, we really need optimal evening and weekend availability from all performers and it will factor in to casting decisions, given the large size of the cast. And please note, all rehearsals and performances take place in Astoria, Queens.
SAME-DAY ALTERNATE POLICY
If you did NOT get a timeslot, we will see same-day standby/alternate performers AS TIME PERMITS. Auditions will be held at the Good Shepherd United Methodist Church, 30-44 Crescent St (@ 30th Rd), Astoria, NY. Directions are found here, under “Theater Address” – signs will be posted upon arrival. Please arrive NO EARLIER THAN 11 AM and tell the monitor you do not have an appointment time but would like to be seen and we will do our best to get you in. Once registration is live, however, please check back on the site frequently – people frequently release their appointment times, which you can claim. If you do come as a standby/alternate – bring your book – and a headshot/resume.
If you’re unable to attend the Open Audition Day, feel free to send a picture/resume for consideration to firstname.lastname@example.org
A few notes:
- Please prepare about 16 bars (30-45 seconds max) of a musical theatre song in the style of the show. You are welcome to sing from the show, if you’d like. Bring sheet music and a headshot/resume.
- Appointments are given in timeslots – plan to arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled time and stay for up to an hour past it.
- We have been offering online sign-ups like this one since 2010. As a reminder, there’s always the potential for the unexpected glitch. In case something goes wrong, our Facebook page will have the latest updates and information as things progress. We anticipate smooth-sailing, but appreciate your patience and understanding should we hit any bumps along the way.
A full breakdown follows below.
MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Astoria Performing Arts Center
AEA Showcase Code
$300 total project stipend (covering travel reimbursement)
Producer: Astoria Performing Arts Center (Dev Bondarin, Artistic Director – Heather Shields, Interim Executive Director)
Book: George Furth
Music/Lyrics: Stephen Sondheim
Director: Dev Bondarin
Musical Director: Ming Aldrich-Gan
Choreographer: Misha Shields
Casting: Michael Cassara Casting (Michael Cassara, CSA and Jamie Anderson)
Rehearses: 3/26 – 4/29 (weekday eves, Sat days, Sun late afternoon/eve)
Performs: 4/30 – 5/23 (Thu-Sat @ 8p, Sat @ 2p)
FRANKLIN SHEPARD Male, 30-40 yrs old. A successful and sometimes seemingly vapid film producer, also an innocent optimist when he was younger. He’s not a bad guy; talented and tormented. Baritone (A2 to Bb4)
CHARLEY KRINGAS Male, 30-40 yrs old. Frank’s best friend. Sometimes stubborn, always intense. Now a successful lyricist, also optimistic when he was younger. Baritenor (A#2 – G#4)
MARY FLYNN Female, 30-40 yrs old. Frank and Charlie’s friend. Very intelligent. Sardonic and always witty. Her optimism gets clouded over by missed opportunities. Mezzo with bright belt (G3 – Gb5)
BETH SPENCER Female, 25-35 yrs old. Frank’s first wife and mother of his son. A downtrodden housewife who once was a Midwestern hopeless romantic trying to make her way in NYC. Soprano (A3 – G5)
GUSSIE CARNEGIE Female, 25-35 yrs old. Frank’s second wife. Helplessly in love with him, she is a flamboyant and successful actress. Big theatre belt (G3 – C5)
JOE JOSEPHSON Male, 40-55 yrs old. Gussie’s first husband. A Broadway producer type who later falls on hard times. Character baritone (A2 – F#4)
FRANKLIN SHEPARD JR. Male, 8-12 yrs old. Son of Beth and Frank. Energetic and eager to please. Should sing well.
Jerome (also Ensemble) Frank’s lawyer. 35-45 yrs old.
Scotty (also Ensemble) Frank’s agent. 25-35 yrs old.
Tyler (also plays character of Stage Manager, Ensemble) Frank’s friend and the inventor of the answering machine. 25-35 yrs old.
Terry (also plays Photographer, Ensemble) Friend of Frank’s. 25-40 yrs old.
Bunker (also plays Minister, Ensemble) Frank’s friend. 30-45 yrs old
Mr. Spencer (also plays RU, Ensemble) Beth’s father. Midwestern and conservative. 35-50 yrs old.
KT (also Ensemble) A successful TV personality who worked her way up. 25-35 yrs old.
Meg (also Girl at Audition, Ensemble) A fling of Frank’s. Young starlet looking for success in LA. 20-30 yrs old.
Dory (also Mary’s Roommate, Ensemble) Friend of Frank’s. 25-35 yrs old.
Mrs. Spencer (also TV makeup artist, Ensemble) Beth’s mother. Set in her ways, but supportive. 35-50 yrs old.